Hello and Welcome I'm Gaby

These are my first attempts at square foot gardening

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 31st, 2010

  This post will not involve any pictures as i am quite lay at this moment and will not get up for anything.Since Ive last posted alot has happened in roies little garden  she seems to think tomatoes are play things and I keep finding them aroung the yard half nibbled and slobbered on, plus she takes great pride in stealing them straight out from under me when I am picking them sneaky little think she is.
   Sunflowers have come out and are hung to dry in the sun they'll either become bird seed for winter or salted sunflower seeds for Mike and me the dogs don't seem to mind them either as is. Most of the marigolds have been pulled out as the plants were way too big and too few flowers were being produced, all of the crookneck and zuchinni squash plants have been uprooted and sent to the green bin.
   I finally got my butt in gear and got some weed tarp down for pathways around the beds and have started to mulch, we still need to put a border to contain the mulch and to put the fence back up so the dogs can't go in and kill everything. The soil has been amended with peatmoss and steer manure and I've started to plant my fall garden which will include snow peas, cabbage, cauliflower and multiple types of lettuce including baby romaine and buttercrunch and more than likely some pac choi.(Here's to hoping it will all grow grow Grow!)
    I think next year I will have to find a better way of preserving tomatoes, I have read all of the ways Granny and Ribbit and some of the others preserve their harvest I'm into the freezing thing but I can't seem to keep up (what can I really do with 6+lbs of cherry tomatoes every couple of days?) I guess for now I'll just have to dice them and freeze them for future use like I did with the squash.
 As the Harvest stands now :
  1. Tomatos: 29lbs 15 oz
  2. Yard Long beans: 2lbs 5 oz
  3. Bell peppers: 1lb 7oz
  4. Crookneck squash: 19lbs 8 oz
  5. Zuchinni: 18lbs 6 oz
  6. Anaheim peppers: 1lb 8 oz
  7. Lettuce mix: 1lb 5.5 oz
  8. Snowpeas: 1 oz
  9. Artichoke: 7 oz
  10. Pac choi: 6 oz
  11. Cucumbers: 6.5 oz
 Total for the Yr: 75lbs 9 oz 



It's incredible what can be accomplished in less than a year this is my first time ever, keeping track, square foot gardening, having Rosie pie. And almost 2 whole years being with Mike, life is funny that way I guess you never really know how it will truly end up or start... 

To all those keeping tabs on me or even just passing by I hope your life is as wonderful, happy and even half as good as mine I'm sure you'll be very happy.Good night.

 

No comments: